| I stumbled onto Block Blast during one of those random Ill play for a minute browsing sessions. The grid looked friendly, the blocks looked simple, and I honestly thought Id be clearing rows and columns almost automatically. Yeah
I was wrong in the best way. At first, Block Blast feels like a breezy block puzzle game. You drag a piece onto a 9x9 grid, try to complete a full horizontal row or vertical column, and those cells clear. The obvious strategy seems almost too easy: fill lines, clear lines, repeat. No pressure eithertheres no countdown timer, so I didnt feel rushed to make moves. I could take a breath, stare at the board for a second, and try again. Why it gets tricky fast (and keeps me coming back) Heres what surprised me: there are no falling pieces. In a lot of block games, the board fights you by dropping stuff automatically, so youre reacting. In Block Blast, youre placing the pieces yourself, so you can get overconfident. Id think, This spot is free enough. Ill just put it here. Then the board fills up in a way that suddenly makes everything tight and mean. Also, pieces cant be rotated. That single rule made me start treating each block like it had a personality. Sometimes you get a shape that fits neatly into what youre building. Other times it shows up already oriented wronglike its taunting you from the bottom of the screen. Even when I was clearing things, I noticed the pattern: the game doesnt punish you only for missing a clear. It punishes you for leaving the wrong kind of space behind. Those small isolated gaps that look harmless? They become traps. You cant cheat your way out later, because you might not have a shape available that matches that weird little pocket. Another fun detail is that a single placement can clear multiple rows or columns at once. The first time that happened for me, I actually laughed out loud. I wasnt expecting itmy move was supposed to be a simple cleanup, and suddenly the board opened up like magic. It made me want to chase that feeling again, which is exactly how I ended up starting another round after I thought I was done. The mistakes that taught me to play better My early runs were a mess, mostly because Id place pieces too quickly when I saw an easy move. One time I created what I thought was a perfect setuplined up toward a future clearand then I dropped a block in a corner that felt safe. It wasnt. I ended up with an awkward gap that basically didnt match anything I had left. I remember staring at the remaining board like, Wait how am I supposed to fill this? Thats when it clicked: saving space matters more than chasing a quick clear. Clearing one line is great, but if it costs you the ability to place future shapes, youre just delaying the inevitable. After a couple of failed runs where the game ended because none of the available pieces could fit, I started planning more than one move ahead. Not perfectlysometimes I still mess upbut enough that I felt a real difference in how long I could keep the board open. Keeping the board open: my casual rules of thumb Im definitely not a pro, but a few habits helped me: I try to think about the board as a whole, not just the next clear. If a move creates a tiny island, I pause. I pay attention to what shapes Im likely to receive next. The game gives you a set of available pieces, so I learned to consider them as a group instead of treating them like random luck. When a move can clear multiple lines, I get excitedbut I also double-check that Im not just clearing space in the wrong area. And honestly, thats the best part of Block Blast for me. It looks chill, and then it turns into this surprisingly thoughtful block placement puzzle where every decision has consequences. Give it a try (and lets compare chaos) If you like puzzle games where you can play at your own pacewithout a timerand you enjoy that I can do this feeling turning into okay, maybe I should have plannedthen Block Blast is worth your time. Next time you play, try starting slow and paying attention to the spaces you create, not just the lines you clear. If you want, play a round and tell me how long you can keep the board open. Ill be over here pretending my next move is definitely the obvious one. |





















